Industry Analysis & Industry Trends
Industry operators primarily sell newspapers, books, magazines or religious publications and periodicals. Newspaper and book retailers have faced tough trading conditions over the past five years owing to a decline in the sale of printed publications and growth in the volume of sales lost to international e-tailers. Industry trading conditions were also affected by continued competition from external operators, including supermarkets, department stores, convenience stores and stationery retailers. The challenging operating landscape is expected to culminate in industry revenue declining by an annualised 4.9% in the five years through 2012-13. Consumer demand for newspaper and book products over the past five years has also been influenced by trends in key drivers, i.e... purchase to read more
Industry Report - Industry Products Chapter
Products retailed by the industry include books, newspapers and magazines. While book retailers predominantly operate as specialist retailers and concentrate on book sales, newspaper and magazine retailers usually supplement store sales by offering a range of other goods and services including greeting cards, stationery, art supplies and photocopying services. The relative size of each product segment for the industry has notably changed over the past 10 to 15 years.
Books are the industry's dominant product segment. Specialised book retailers account for an estimated 93% of book revenue attributable to the industry, with the remaining 7.0% of book revenue generated by newsagents... purchase to read more